Blackwater Valley

Christ Church Fermoy

Christchurch Fermoy

Christ Church, Fermoy was designed by Abraham Hargrave the Elder, and consecrated in 1809. The land on which it is sited was donated by the Baylor Family, whose descendants worship in Christ Church to this day. The majority of the building costs were paid by John Anderson, Founder of the town of Fermoy, and John Hyde of Castlehyde.

A broach spire and transepts in the Hiberno-Romanesque style were added in the late nineteenth century. The attenuated neo-classical proportion of the windows are typical of County Cork, while the east window case, which incorporates ionic columns and robust scroll brackets, is the most interesting feature of the building.

It is situated in a prominent position overlooking the Blackwater Bridge and beside the fine Town Park and is one of the outstanding features of the town.

Besides being a place of worship for the local Church of Ireland community, Christ Church has for long been an active focus for ecumenical activity. Besides various ecumenical services there throughout the year, the Community Carol Service for the whole town and area takes place in Christ Church every year. It also hosts fund-raising concerts for local charities and alternates with St. Patrick's Church, Fermoy in hosting the Women's World Day of Prayer.

A history of Christ Church, edited by the late Comdr. N. Brunicardi, is available.