St. James's Place
St. James's Place is fine example of a Georgian terrace. It was built in 1808. There were to be 6 houses in the terrace, however the builder, John Anderson, was made a bankrupt before No. 6 was started and No. 6 was never built. In the late nineteenth century an extension was built onto No. 1.
The convent of the Little Company of Mary or The Blue Nuns as they are known locally, came to Fermoy in 1902 on the invitation of the then Bishop of Cloyne, Dr. Browne. Three nuns opened a convent at No 1 and remained there until they moved to their present convent on Monument Hill in 1912.
During the 1960's and 70's, the Georgian terrace went into decline. By the start of the
1980's the whole terrace was in a dilapidated state with most of the houses let out in
flats. The terrace reached its nadir when No. 1 was condemned as being unfit for human